This set features an elegant leather-bound folio housing a low mintage coloured collector issue half dollar coin, postage stamps, postcards and more to tell the story of the Empress of Ireland. Rivalled only by the loss of the Titanic two years earlier, the loss of the Empress was one of the greatest maritime tragedies of all time. The feature coin in this set presents an image of the ship just before her fateful collision in the early morning fog on April 29, 1914. Collectability is enhanced by the low limited mintage of just 6,000 presentation sets.
All of the following items are included
- A limited edition Royal Canadian Mint 2014 Half Dollar commemorative coin (only 15,000 pieces struck in total, with 6000 of these in this collector set). The thick fog fills the cool night air and enshrouds the ship, extending beyond the image field on both sides. The ship's bow and port side are rendered in detail, and are faintly illuminated by the light from the ship's windows and portholes. Engraved above the image field is the ship's bell, which sat atop one of the ship's masts.
A full colour book, telling the story of the Empress: her role in furthering immigration to Canada; the tragic events of the early morning hours of May 29, 1914; and the rescue and recovery efforts.
- 2 reproduction Empress postcards, including one mailed from the ship just hours before the sinking.
- Exclusive to this collection – stamp collectibles bearing unique metallic ink cancels.
- A full pane of 16 domestic-rate stamps.
- A souvenir sheet of the international-rate stamp.
- Both official First Day Covers.